kids

kids

Monday, November 28, 2011

My Life: The Musical

Maybe it was the constant chatter and singing of Eliza on our drive to and from Indiana or maybe it is all the Christmas music beginning to play, but I feel like my life belongs in a musical right now. I used to think that musicals were so wild because whose life is actually like that?? Well, it seems like those people with toddlers are living the musical life day in and day out.


I guarantee that as most of my family is reading this post they are laughing out loud at MY LIFE as the musical. I have been asked by multiple siblings to stop singing during mass because my beautiful voice was giving them a headache. However, I get songs stuck in my head just as bad as the next person, and because I have a toddler living with me and a husband that enjoys modern music (aka: rap) I have a wild array of music floating around in my head. As my sister, Hannah, can tell you I don’t know the right words to ANY song, so I find myself making up words quite often.


Although, I’m not musically gifted I still turn to music for inspiration, for hope, for help, for joy, for prayer, and for relaxation.


My musical took an interesting turn today. This morning Jackson was getting tubes put in his ears. Brian decided to stay home with Eliza while I took Jackson to the operation on my own. After hours of no eating and a long day of traveling Jackson was a champ before surgery. He was laughing with the nurses and talking to the doctors. However, after the surgery he wasn’t so happy. Anesthesia does crazy things to little babies. They are so disoriented when they wake up that they are in a fit of rage for quite a while. Jackson sure was raging! My mothering skills were certainly tested as he half fell asleep and then began kicking and pushing off of me while yelling at the top of his lungs. It was at this point that I turned to music. I didn’t think the nurses would appreciate me breaking into song, so I just began to hum the first thing that popped into my head. Amazing Grace started pouring out and it didn’t calm Jackson down one bit, but it sure did help me! As he cried and struggled I just hummed louder. We both made it out alive. J


I guess my whole point with this post is that 2 year olds have some things pretty well figured out. I think all the songs they break into during the day are as much for fun as they are for calming. The next time you get into a stressful situation and can’t seem to escape try a quiet song. God loves listening to our songs almost as much as he loves listening to our prayers.


Remember to count your blessings--especially the small singing ones!! J
 

No comments:

Post a Comment