kids

kids

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What’s All This Waiting Really For??

Each day for Advent our family reads a small thought provoking reflection, says a small prayer, and performs some action to help the kids get prepared for Christmas. It is perfect for Eliza because she is able to pay attention and understand what we are doing. Below is a small excerpt from what we read last night:

“Advent is a time each year to realize we are awaiting a grand guest. He will be just a baby, one who is totally dependent on us, but we have to be ready for the gift of his visit. He is trusting us to take care of him, and we want to do that to the best of our ability.”


When I think about Jesus I rarely think about Him as this innocent child that needs my help. It’s usually the other way around. I think of myself as bowing down kissing His feet and asking for His help. And the more I thought about the passage that we read last night, the more I realized that Advent is meant to be a time to prepare for baby Jesus. In fact, I think that if we all thought about Jesus as an innocent and needy baby more often our actions would be much kinder on a daily basis.


Just think about the way you feel when you hold a newborn. Whether that newborn is my own or not I know that I want to make that baby as comfortable and happy as possible while I’m holding him. If he begins to cry I do my best to comfort him. Jesus Christ, the newborn, needs our help to be “comfortable”. We have to be the people that Jesus Christ came to this Earth to save. Each and every one of our hearts house Jesus, and we must make our hearts clean and ready for His visit on Christmas.


Our duty goes above and beyond this though. That baby Jesus depends on us each and every day! We must stand against the social norms of our time and fight for a world that Jesus Christ died for. Let us remember as we wait eagerly for Christmas morning to wish ALL a Merry Christmas, be charitable, be prayerful, be thoughtful, and be better each and every day of this advent season. It is up to each and every one of us to change the world--and let it begin with me.

Don’t forget to count those blessings--especially the little ones!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment