kids

kids

Monday, March 26, 2012

Elephants and Easter Candy


Did you know that an Elephant is usually pregnant for 22 months? The average size of a baby elephant at birth is 230 lbs. Elephants spend around 16 hours a day eating consuming nearly 500 lbs. of food. They have very poor eyesight, can swim very well, and are the largest of all land mammals.

I had to look up some facts about elephants today because although I’m only 16 weeks along I’m already starting to feel quite hefty. Considering that we are headed to the beach next week for vacation maybe I should look up some facts about whales too??

It’s actually kind of amazing how similar pregnant women and elephants are. I don’t think I consume nearly 500 lbs. of food a day but it might be close some days. During pregnancy I always have issues with my sight and although I don’t eat as much as an elephant I sure have a stomach that thinks it’s hungry ALL the time.

I went shopping for Easter candy over the weekend. Seriously, who sends a pregnant woman shopping for Easter candy? I’m proud to say that although I went up and down the Easter candy aisles about 3 times each, and bought nearly $50 of candy and goodies I didn’t eat one piece. Don’t get me wrong, come Easter morning this pregnant lady will be enjoying all sorts of Easter candy. Unlike an elephant I like to think that I have a bit of control over eating everything in sight.

As I’m writing this I’m shaking my head and smirking at the thought of all you women out there reading this. No one should compare pregnant women to elephants! Oh well. I think it’s kind of funny to think about. Plus, it’s so reassuring to know that I we will never be pregnant for 22 months and I will never give birth to a 230 lb. baby. Phew!!! I guess some days you have to look at the little things.

Oh, one more side note. I’ve been feeling the baby move the past two days, and I heard the heartbeat today at my appointment. That’s some true reassurance. J

No comments:

Post a Comment