kids

kids

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Doing Whatever I Want All Day...Motherhood

So last night as we were sitting in bed Brian begins to tell me that some days he wishes he could just do whatever he wants like I can. I looked at him with that “what did you just say look”. He again repeated his sentiment of “you can wake up and do whatever you want every day”.

We proceeded in having a conversation about how wonderful my life is and how I wake up every morning and do whatever I want. Right!

Instead our conversation was me on the defensive trying to explain to my wonderful husband why it is that I don’t’ get to do “whatever I want all the time”. Unfortunately, at the end of the conversation I’m not sure that I made my point. I’m thinking about just waking up really early one day and leaving without telling anyone--just to see how he does doing “whatever he wants all day”.

Our conversation got me to thinking about husbands and wives. We “know” what each other does all the day, but not REALLY. I certainly couldn’t go to Brian’s job and pick up where he left off the day before just like he couldn’t do what I do all day. Sure he could take care of the kids all day, but the house would take me a week to clean up after a day of him being Mr. Mom.

I suppose I could have gotten upset about his lack of knowledge of what a mom really does, but honestly at that point I was too tired!! Taking care of two little kids and growing another one in my womb all day and night kinda wears you down. So instead I just slept on it, and I’m glad I did. It really doesn’t matter what he “thinks” I do all day, and it really doesn’t matter what he does all day. God put us together and we have our little family and the way we do things, and it works. Any other way would be a little wild.

Motherhood might be the most underappreciated job in the universe, aside from Son of God. However, I didn’t get into the gig to be appreciated. I got into motherhood because God blessed me with these little souls to help form and educate to be positive examples of love in the world. I’m going to continue doing the best I can each and every day, because that’s all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment