kids

kids

Monday, December 5, 2011

Do You Need God??

Yesterday during the homily our priest discussed the idea that our society doesn’t “need” God anymore. Living in the United States leaves us wanting for very little and our needs are almost nothing. We are lucky to have a solid government, protection of a great military, food on our table, houses to call home, and we are never lacking for entertainment. Most of us are more worried about getting our Christmas shopping done then we are about anything else this time of year. Just because we are blessed enough to live in this country doesn’t mean that we don’t have “need” for God though. In fact, I believe we have just as much “need” for God as anyone else living on Earth.


I’ve been thinking about the homily a lot over the last day or so. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out if I “need” God. Kind of a silly thing to think about, but nonetheless interesting. I tried looking at it the other way, and came up with my answer. If God was taken out of my life, would my life change? (Perhaps this is a question you should ask yourself.) Luckily, my answer was that my life would be entirely different. Not just because my belief in God helps make up my very essence, but because if God was not existent in my life EVERYTHING would be different. There isn’t a decision I’ve made in my life that God wasn’t a part of. However, I know there are days that I go about my day to day routines and think very little about what I’d do if Jesus showed up at my doorstep that very day.


We are supposed to yearn for God. The birth of Jesus Christ changed the world, and it’s still changing the world each and every day. He’s coming to visit us, and we want to be prepared when He arrives. The needs that we have in this country are very different than those of people in 3rd world countries around the world, but they are needs nonetheless. Yearning for God is something everyone should be doing. Perhaps we need to sacrifice a bit more so that we realize that need. I know Lent is usually the time of year to give things up, but perhaps in preparation for our Lord’s birth we each need to give something up to remind us of our longing for Him.


The time for celebration is not yet here. We’re still getting ready. Amidst the hustle and bustle of the season we must continue the preparations for our souls. Jesus will return. Will you be ready??

Don't forget to count your blessings--especially the little ones!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment