kids

kids

Monday, December 12, 2011

Why I Run…

I have been thinking about this question a lot in the last week. I equate running to life. I think the two are very similar. When I run I feel like I am solving the world’s problems, or at least I feel like I am solving all the problems that I’m facing that day. Life is a mental game just as running is a mental game. You can go about your day and be miserable and complain and make excuses or you can step up and overcome. You can push through and climb just a little higher then you did the day before, you can run a little harder, a little faster, and a little farther or you can sit at home thinking about how you really should be out there.


So below are some reasons why I run, maybe one will give you some inspiration to get out there and do something. Start by putting one foot in front of the other, it’s amazing where the road can take you.


* I run for myself.I love the way I feel after a good run. Whether I’m doing an interval run, a sprint workout, or a nice long run I feel wonderful when I’m done. I feel like I can do anything. Pushing through a hard run puts me on top of the world. I also know I’m making myself stronger. Plus, I’m a little vain, like the rest of the world, and I love looking good--after a hard run I feel like I am just helping to make myself look a little better.


* I run for my husband.This is the man I’m going to be with for the rest of my life. He’s the only man that I really care about looking good for. There’s a great satisfaction when your husband says you look beautiful and you KNOW that he means it and isn’t just saying it. Running is one of the ways I can look good for him. Plus, thinking about him often helps me run that extra mile, sprint, or interval.


* I run for my kids.I run for Eliza and Jackson and I also run for all my future kids. Being a mom is my job, and I can’t be a good mom if I don’t take care of myself. Running allows me to get all those mom stresses out and allows me to keep my mom body in the best shape it can be in. It’s important for my body to be in peak condition when I am growing a human being, and it’s important for my body to be in shape so I can keep up with the kids I already have.


* I run for others.I love to think about other people while I’m running. I like to dedicate my pain to them. It’s like my way of praying for them while they suffer through a tough time in life. Sometimes it’s the only thing I can do to help. It’s incredible how motivated I can get while thinking about someone I love going through a tough time!


*I run for fun.There’s something about running that brings me back to my younger years. 10 years ago I was in high school playing soccer, playing basketball, running track--no worries. I didn’t know that then, but I know that now. Running helps me reminisce on those days. It helps me stay young. It helps me appreciate where I am today.


* I run to think.There is no time to think about everything and anything then while running. It’s the perfect time to clear my head. I feel revitalized and ready to take on the world after a run.


I hope you have something in your life that gets you feeling alive. There are all sorts of exercises that can get you where you want to be. Have fun and let the road take you where it will.


***As I’ve said before, I don’t think it’s healthy for a person to run every day mile after mile. Chronic cardio has been debunked over and over again. So be smart with how you run, change it up each workout, and don’t overdo it.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I run to clear my head, rid my mind of negativity and think more positive. Your blogs are so inspirational. Hope you're doing well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    Thank you! We are doing really well. Really looking forward to Christmas and visiting family back home in Indiana!! I'm glad you are finding some inspiration on here, that's one of the reasons I love sharing. :) I hope you are doing well too.

    ReplyDelete