kids

kids

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Insanity Makes Sane Moments Better

It’s Wednesday. Our usual routine on Wednesday is Story Time at the library, a trip to Target, and grab lunch on the way home. I like to have a routine. My kids like to have a routine. I think it helps us all feel somewhat sane. It’s the reason we have a bedtime routine, a mealtime routine, and even a getting into the car routine--for a little sanity.

Sometimes, however, we go a little insane. Sometimes mommy loses patience or a three year old freaks out or maybe a 16 month old decides to have a moment. What happens when all of those happen at the same time? Well, you could use your imagination-- or you could be like the women at Story Time today and just give me that sympathetic smile as they watch the madness unfold.

“Mommy I want to get a sticker on the way out.” (part of the routine)

“Ok, Eliza that’s great.”

Eliza goes to the sticker box and grabs a hand full of stickers.

“Eliza, you may only have one--you know we have to leave some for the other kids.” (stern look)

“I’m going to take them all and not leave any, I want them all!”

Here’s where your imagination comes in. This conversation ended quickly with Eliza putting all the stickers back and a swift spanking.

Oh the fun doesn’t end there!

She proceeds to throw herself on the floor and scream and cry. (Mind you “little Eliza” is 39 ½ inches tall and weighs about 37 pounds) So like a good mother I smile at the onlookers, apologize to the Librarians, and grab Eliza’s arm. Just once it would be nice if she cooperated and walked. Instead she goes into the limp position--and the screaming continues. So here I am holding a 16 month old (who really wants to get down and walk), attempting to drag a HUGE 3 year old while being 6 months pregnant--oh yeah, while wearing a skirt. (I thought I looked so cute this morning) The walk to the car couldn’t have gone slower. But we made it. Barely.

Sometimes it takes a little insanity to appreciate the sane moments.

Needless to say-- the rest of our “routine” went very smoothly. Naptime is underway and the sun is shining, overall not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment