kids

kids

Monday, May 14, 2012

Motherhood


With Mother’s Day being yesterday I was thinking a lot about what motherhood means to me. I could state that being a mother is all about changing diapers, cleaning house, cooking, making beds, kissing skinned knees, late night feedings, teaching, praying, etc, etc. However, when I think about being a mom it is so much more than what I “DO” for my children.

When we were growing up my mom used to say “Do you have the stretch marks? No. I’m the mom, not you.” I always thought that was a funny way to remind all of us that she was the boss. Now that I have stretch marks (which seem to be growing by the day) I understand the symbolism behind that statement so much more.

Being a mom is all about sacrifices. However, if you talk to any mother I don’t think they’d look at those sacrifices as a bad thing, instead I think they’d look at all those sacrifices as blessings. The physical sacrifice it takes for a mother to carry a child for 9 months and then bring that child into this world is one that a mother would make over and over again--because when it’s all said and done they get to look down in their arms and see the little miracle that they helped make. It’s worth it. The emotional sacrifice that a mother goes through each and every day watching a child grow up is rather taxing. Whether it’s a new mother watching her child fall over and over while they learn to walk, or a seasoned mother watching their teenager fall in love and be broken hearted for the first time--the pain is multiplied for the mother. It’s worth it. The mental sacrifice that it takes to be a mother is constantly taking it’s toll as well. Shoot, as I sit here typing this I am going through the huge list in my head of things I need to do or things I’ve already forgotten to do today. It’s worth it.

I would gladly sacrifice my life for my child. I wouldn’t even have to think twice about it. The fact of the matter is that I am sacrificing my life for my child. Every single thing I do in this world is for the benefit of my children. Every morning I wake up and ask God to watch over me so that I don’t screw them up too bad today and every night I thank God for the strength and wisdom that got me through the day. Praying that I helped make them better people. The sacrifice is worth it. I really look at it more like a blessing. I love my children with all my heart and I am so thankful that I get to raise them and teach them each and every day.

Motherhood is not an easy thing. Motherhood is a vocation that must be taken in stride. Mothers must be the first example of love in a child’s life. Mothers must mold their children in goodness. Mothers must be ever-strong. Mothers must rely on God for help. Perhaps most importantly mothers must never ever give up--even when it seems like there is no hope, a mother must hope against hope and lead by their loving example always.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment