kids

kids

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Catholic Women

We’ve been back from vacation for 4 days now and I am just getting around to writing my first post-vacation blog. I’ve been “reminded” by multiple people that they have missed reading it. I can’t promise this is going to be one of those awe inspiring posts, but I’ll do my best in the coming days to put some thought provoking blogs up.

For now I’m just trying to catch my breath. It’s amazing how far behind you can feel after being gone for a week. I feel like I had housework, laundry, and catching up with family and friends to do…and there is still a lot of that to do.

Today the thought that keeps going on in my head as I try to balance everything in my life is “What does it mean to be a Catholic woman in today’s society?” I know that some of you that read this are not Catholic, but this is a sentiment that I’m sure you can sympathize with.

I’ve always believed that nothing is worth doing unless you are going to put your full heart into it. Being a Catholic woman is no different. I try not to do it half way. In my mothering, my marriage, and my daily life I do my best to live as a Catholic woman should live. That is not to say that I don’t sin or make mistakes, but in my eyes we are called to so much more than other women in our society. I believe that we must lead by example. Praying daily with our children, discussing controversial subjects with our friends, not using birth-control, living everyday in a loving manner are just a few of the ways we must live. I don’t believe these are optional, I believe they are essential.

Is this easy? What do you think? A lot of times doing the right thing is far from easy. And sometimes it’s hard to see how living this way is changing anything. Our world is far from perfect and it’s hard not to see all the chaos and craziness and just despair. But if we don’t have hope then who will bring hope to the hopeless?

I urge you to continue to hope. Don’t give up on doing the right thing--because it is worth it! Truly think about what it means to be a Catholic woman in today’s society? We aren’t perfect and we never will be, but we can be a good example for the world. When someone looks at you wouldn’t you rather them say “wow, what an amazing and Godly woman” than say “what does she believe in again?” Even if they think you are crazy and disagree with your stances of things, at least you are standing.

What does it mean to you to be a Catholic woman in today’s society? Can you be doing more? Celebrate your uniqueness and share your faith!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So true that it is hard, but definitely the most rewarding work I will ever do.

    Glad you're back, love reading your blog! Makes me feel like you aren't so far away.

    ReplyDelete