kids

kids

Monday, July 16, 2012

No Pain, No Gain: A Quick Workout for All You Pregnant Momma's


Last week I wrote about all the fun aches and pains that accompany a pregnant woman during the 3rd trimester. For some it seems like there is little relief no matter what you do. I think at times the baby just gets in a certain position and there’s not much you can do to get them out of it. However, one thing that seems to consistently help me is a good workout. I’m too far along to run anymore--between the huge belly and the contractions it gives me it’s really not worth it. But a good walk or a nice body-weight “lifting” routine always seems to help me. I don’t do long workouts--I try to keep them between 30 and 40 minutes and even after I’ve done a great workout and feel great sometimes later that day or evening I’ll start feeling a bit yucky again. Those are the days I throw in some yoga, 10 or 15 minutes, and it usually helps too.

Below is one workout that I really love. It’s simple, and anyone can do it at home. It usually takes me about 35 minutes to complete. All the exercises are able to be modified too. This is the workout I will start with after delivery too--once I am cleared to start working out again. So even if you’re not pregnant, it’s a great workout!

Warm-Up: 5 minutes

I usually put on some great music and march in place, shuffle, do some kicks, arm rolls, arm swings, etc. to get my body all warmed up. I’m in a nice light sweat by the end of the warm-up.

Push-Ups: 15-20

Right now I do push ups at an angle. I push off of a coffee table so I’m not flat off the ground. You can also do wall push-ups, knee push-ups, regular push-ups, or another variation that works for you. The great thing about pregnancy is even if you continue to do the same type of push up it gets harder as you gain weight. By the end it’s like you are doing 35 extra pounds of push ups.

Lunges: 30

There’s not really a cheat for these. I guess you could go down a little less than normal, but I think these are pretty doable the entire pregnancy. Just make sure you are using proper form, keep your knee from going over your ankle and you’ll be fine.

Pull-Ups: 25

There are tons of variations for these as well. In the beginning of pregnancy I was still doing normal old pull ups. You can also do chair assisted with one or two legs. I am at the resistant band level now though. I tie a resistant band to my bar--fairly tightly, sit on the ground feet flat on the floor, and pull almost like a rowing machine (but obviously the angle is a bit different) the key here is to keep your arms spread while pulling and while straightening back up.

Squats: 25

Tons of variations here too. You can use weights in the beginning and phase off to no weights by the 3rd trimester if you need to. If you are pregnant I think it’s very important to have a chair or a couch behind you, in case you lose your balance. (I’ve done it!) Right now I do 25 slow squats, I go as low as I can on the bend and I do it in front of my couch in case I fall backwards. These start to burn by the end--if they don’t you aren’t going slow enough.

Dumbbell Dead lift and upright row:20

These are a bit complicated to explain. I use very light weights with this lift. You can vary it based on how far along you are--but I wouldn’t do more than 10 lbs in each arm unless you aren’t pregnant. For this lift stand with your legs shoulder width apart with the weights at either side, keep your legs straight bend at the waist and touch your toes, then stand back up. This is a lift for your hamstrings, so that’s where you should feel it. As you stand back up bring the weights up to your chin so that your elbows are pointing out, drop the weights back to your sides and begin again.

Triceps Extension: 20 on each side

I use light weights for this exercise too. Again you can vary it based on where you are in pregnancy. There are multiple ways to do this lift as well. The way I do it is to stand with one foot about a stride in front of the other, bend over at the waist about 90 degrees with a weight in both hands. The arm that I am working gets pulled straight behind me (almost like starting a lawn mower) and back down again, the other arm hangs dead with the weight in it then switch feet and arms.

I repeat this routine twice.

Cool Down: 5 minutes

Just an easy march in place and stretch to cool your body down. Make sure you drink a bunch of water too.

**If you have any questions e-mail or message me and I can help you out personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment