kids

kids

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Small Things


Listen to this first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8gkDiTvloc&feature=related



I’m sure all of you have heard of the tragic shooting in Colorado by now. Last night a gunman opened fire in a movie theatre killing 12 people. There aren’t really words to express my emotions. That song really does help put some of the craziness of this world into perspective. There will come a day when we’re all with Jesus in heaven, it’s during the crazy times that we should remember that.

I think it’s really easy to see the hate and the evil in the world today. All you have to do is turn on the news and you hear a story of heartache. I’m no scholar or theologian, but I do know that our suffering should only bring us closer to God, it should help us appreciate to good times even more. Of course, that’s a lot easier said than done--especially while in the midst of suffering.

Sometimes when the outside world is going crazy I like to close myself down and surround myself with my little world. I try to find the joy in what I get to do every single day. Today my kids made it easy. We were out running errands and stopped to pick up lunch. I decided to be really crazy and let them eat some ice-cream before we got home to eat lunch. I got a small dish of vanilla and handed it to Eliza. She is big enough to feed herself in the car, but Jackson isn’t quite there yet. Eliza insisted on sharing with him though. Their seats are far enough apart that Eliza can’t spoon feed him, so instead she scooped some onto a spoon and then handed it to him to eat. He proceeded to eat the ice-cream and hand the spoon back to her. After taking a bite for herself she again scooped one for him, and this continued until the ice-cream was gone. This might seem like such a simple thing to the outsider, but let me assure you this was a little piece of God’s love on earth. Eliza is only 3--three year olds aren’t the best at sharing. Let’s be honest, most people aren’t very good at sharing. The love that my kids shared with one another by this simple act of ice-cream eating was truly a sign of God’s love right in front of my eyes.

God’s love truly does surround us each and every day. Sometimes it’s harder to see than other times--but it’s always there. Don’t forget to thank God for the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment