kids

kids

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Is it morning already?!?

I hate eating breakfast. At least, I used to hate eating breakfast.

When I worked outside the home I would take the extra sleep over breakfast any day. My bed and I have a love-love relationship. I LOVE to sleep in my bed and my bed loves giving me restful nights of sleep. I can’t remember a morning I woke up and really wanted to get out of bed.

So now that I have a two year old running into my room every morning, passing right by Brian and running to my side of the bed screaming or sometimes singing “it’s a beautiful day Mommy, time to wake up!!” I have learned that if I don’t eat a good breakfast the rest of the day is doomed. Sometimes I’ll wake up extra early to go running-- I love those days! Even though it means less sleep, it also means some peace and quiet at the beginning of the day. It’s a tough choice though, having a sweet little girl to wake me up or some peace and quiet.

Breakfast is not a tough choice though. In fact, I’ve made it so that breakfast is a no-brainer. (since my brain usually hasn’t started working yet anyway) Whether I run first or not I eat one of two things. Either a smoothie or some sort of scrambled eggs mixed with veggies. Today I am going to give you a wonderful recipe for a smoothie.

This is a very basic recipe for a smoothie. (Bold) The coolest thing about smoothies is that they can be so nutritious and you can add so many different things to them without changing the taste too much. (I’ve put the extras in italics.) So if you have a hard time fitting in fruits and veggies during the day, add some. If you have high cholesterol or not enough good cholesterol, add some fish oil and flax seed. The smoothie below is about 300 calories and packed with protein!!

¼ cup organic-skim milk
¼ yogurt ( I like to use Greek--but you can use whatever)
1 scoop protein powder ( I love the target vanilla-- 25g protein per serving!!)
4 to 5 frozen strawberries (any berries can work or a mixture)
2 eggs
2 tbls. Flax seed
1 scoop Greens+


Stay tuned, in a later blog I’ll give a great recipe for a make-ahead breakfast burrito that will please everyone in the family-- health nut or not!

Blessings I’m counting today:Story-time at the Library
Sunny Fall mornings
Being able to stay home with my kids (Thanks Brian!!)

Remember to always count your blessings-- especially the small ones! J

No comments:

Post a Comment