kids

kids

Monday, January 9, 2012

God Is Listening, Are You?

God’s love is amazing. As I sit here watching my kids still struggle to get over their sickness from last week all I can think is how amazing God’s love is. I sent up many prayers over the last week and I can tell that God was truly listening. They certainly aren’t back to normal yet, but they are both definitely on the mend.


Today is the first day in a week that Eliza has felt like doing anything other than sit and watch cartoons. She’s not constantly coughing or licking snot that has run down from her nose to her mouth. (eww!) Jackson didn’t officially get diagnosed with pneumonia like Eliza but he is trying to fight something off. He was put on antibiotics and steroids to help his little body fight. Today he is climbing on everything and chasing me around the house as I vacuum. It’s wonderful to see their spirits back.


All I could think last week was that nothing was going according to plan. There’s that word you don’t dare use when God is listening--PLAN. God has this way of showing us what life is all about just about the time we think we have our own plan all figured out. No mother plans for her kids to get sick, but it was yet another reminder how we moms need God in our daily life.


I really try my best to pray each and every day, even if it’s only little prayers throughout the day. On the good days it seems like I pray less than on the bad days. Why do we do that? Do you ever notice that people tend to pray more for their wants rather than the things they are thankful for? It’s not that it’s bad to pray for your sick kid--but did you remember to thank God on all those days he/she is healthy? It’s pretty easy to forget.


A long time ago a priest gave me a suggestion that I want to share with everyone. Maybe it will help you, maybe you don’t need the help, but nonetheless it’s a suggestion that I took many years ago and it changed the way I pray. Each time you begin a prayer start by listing everything you are thankful for that day. (When we say our night prayers Eliza even thanks God for her comfy pillow.) It may sound weird, but starting your prayers out in thanksgiving changes the way you pray. Thank God first and then share with him your desires. Sometimes I don’t even get to my wants during my prayers because the list of things I’m thankful for is so large!


Remember that God’s love is absolutely amazing. He knows our innermost desires even better than we do. Don’t ever underestimate His amazing power. As for that PLAN of yours… good luck, let me know how that goes for you. J


Remember to count your blessings--especially the small ones!! J

2 comments:

  1. Ok. This is eerily strange. Not only did I use one of your recipes for dinner tonight (Who would have EVER seen that one coming???)...I also found great wisdom that will be so useful to me in this blog post. I was just giving your little sister grief for her constant whining. I told her that she really needed to work on gratitude, to keep the complaints to herself and find good things to share out loud. I am going to start using this suggestion with her tonight for her night prayers to reinforce that lesson. I am thankful for you today, my dear daughter Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND...I am thankful for that stuffed peppers recipe. Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete