kids

kids

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Who Needs Perfect?

Over Christmas Break I was fortunate enough to catch up with a lot of friends and family. One of the family members that I miss the most living out in Oklahoma is my Aunt Jennie. I used to baby sit for her kids when I was in high school and we would have the best talks. We have pretty similar personalities and we both strive to live life the best we can.


It was really wild when I was pregnant with Eliza and she was pregnant with her youngest, Georgia. Eliza and Georgia are only 3 weeks apart. It was a really special thing to share with her, not to mention we had very similar pregnancy experiences so we could share our woe’s together.


Anyway, while we were visiting we were discussing blogs. She pointed out how she couldn’t stand reading those “picture perfect” blogs. You know the one’s she’s talking about. Those people who only show you the good side of their lives. They claim to not have a single problem. Those same people who have time to scrapbook, make dinner, help with homework, workout, and look beautiful all at the same time. (or something like that)


I’ve thought about that conversation frequently since being back in Oklahoma. It’s amazing what people look at as perfect.


As my Aunt Jennie sat there talking about these perfect women I couldn’t help but think, she’s pretty amazing herself. She might not be perfect, as those blogs would have us all believe they are, but she’s a faithful follower of Jesus that does her best each and every day.


Jennie and Rob have 7 biological children that range in ages 16-2 ½. Two years ago they decided to start the journey of adoption. Just before Christmas they welcomed 4 Ethiopian children into their home and into their family. Those kids range in age from 12-3. Not only do they now have 11 children, but Jennie home schools all the kids. They are just beginning their wild journey. They will inevitably have struggles along the way, but the love that they have for ALL their kids is inspiring. They have an amazing will to make it all work.


My whole point in sharing about my Aunt Jennie is that she will be the first to tell you that she is far from perfect. However, that doesn’t stop her from striving to be Christ-like each and every single day. If we were all perfect like those picture perfect blogs then Christ never would have come and died for us.
So as my Aunt Jennie juggles loving, disciplining, cooking, laughing, crying, screaming, cleaning, chauffeuring, playing, praying, and living with her perfect family I hope the thought of her can bring you some inspiration today and every day like it does for me.


I encourage you to pray for Jennie and her family as they face this journey.


Remember to count all your blessings--especially the small ones!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment