kids

kids

Friday, January 27, 2012

When “Because I Said So” Just Doesn’t Cut It

“Mommy, can I have a cupcake for breakfast?”

         “No Eliza.”

“Mommy, can I have fruit snacks for breakfast?”

        “No Eliza.”

“But whyyyyyy??”

            “Because those are not healthy things to eat for breakfast.”

“But mommy I really like them.”

          “Let’s pick something else.”

“But whyyyyy??”


This exchange could go on for pages. Two year olds and their constant asking of why to every thing you say. It doesn’t even matter what it is that you are talking about, it’s almost as if it’s an automatic response to you speaking. When my little sister asked me why Eliza asked so many questions I told her because that’s the way she learns. I truly believe that the more questions a kid asks the smarter they will get. It’s an awesome trait to be curious about the world around you. However, two year olds can ask a heck of a lot of questions and sometimes I try out the old “because I said so”, that all parents have used at one time or another.


Does it work with your kids?? I remember it working just fine on me when I was little. It got to a point where I didn’t bother testing my parents by asking why. I just knew that what they said is what was going to happen so why bother.


“Because I said so” doesn’t seem to work with Eliza. She can keep up the asking “why?” game all day. No seriously, it’s impossible to ignore her. So lately I’ve decided to take my husbands tact and just answer her with some really ridiculous answer. Amazingly it works!


“Mommy, why can’t I have a cupcake for breakfast?”

           “Because if you eat a cupcake a big green monster will come and take you away.”

“No, I don’t want a monster to come.”

          “Ok, so let’s pick something else for breakfast then.”

“Ok, mommy.”


I know this isn’t what all those parenting books and magazines would say. Most of them say you should answer all your kids questions so they can learn. Clearly they forget what it’s like to be around two year olds!!


So if “Because I said so” isn’t cutting it for you, try being outrageous. For some reason kids ears turn on when you are outrageous.


What’s your favorite answer to the question why?

No comments:

Post a Comment