kids

kids

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My 4am Wake Up Call(s)

I love sleep. So when I heard a little girl rocking in the family room at 4 o’clock this morning I grunted, drug myself out of bed and went to see what was going on. Sure enough there was little Eliza sitting on the couch rocking away. As I walked out of my room she smiled and said “hi mommy, I’m not tired anymore it’s morning time”. As I quietly picked her up and brought her back to her room I explained that in fact it was still night time (pointing out how dark it was outside) and mommy and Eliza needed more sleep so that we could have fun the next day. She didn’t exactly see it the same way. She began screaming “I’m not tired, I’m not tired”. So I flipped her music on, squeezed myself onto her little toddler bed, laid down beside her, and rubbed her back so she’d calm down. As I trudged back to my bed she began rocking in her bed (it’s a weird little thing that Eliza does) and I thought for sure she’d be out in a few minutes. It wasn’t until about 5am that she finally fell back asleep.

 I laid down on my pillow and just about the time my head hit it I hear my little man cry out. I think to myself, “ok, he’s going to go right back to sleep it was just a little yell”. Well sure enough he decided 4am was a good time to start the day as well. Luckily with him all I had to do was make him a bottle, he sleepily drank it (keeping his eyes closed the entire time) tossed it aside when he was done and was snoring before I could put him back in his bed.


(As I lay him down I hear Eliza rocking away in her room, quietly singing to herself…but refusing to fall asleep)


I don’t think my kids could be more opposite.


As I think about the two situations that played out in the wee hours of the morning I keep thinking about life as a whole. Don’t we all have days like each. We have days where we pop right out of bed with our crazy bed head and all and we are ready to attack the day. Then we have days where we can’t hit the snooze button enough. When we finally drag ourselves out of bed we can barely open our eyes and the entire morning we are wishing we could just roll over and go back to sleep.


Think about those days that you pop right out of bed. What is it that makes you so chipper on those particular mornings?


Whatever it is that makes us wake up with a smile on our face and the attitude that the day belongs to us is something we should hold on to.


I’m probably one of the worst morning people. I’d do it the same way Jackson does if I had a choice. I’d wake up a little hungry, eat while laying down, then roll over and go back to sleep. Luckily, I have my little Eliza that always wakes up happy. She usually starts the day by singing some song to me as she dances away.


I like to think of her as my peppy alarm clock, but one that I want to join in singing, not one that I want to throw across the room. Even when she woke up at 4am it was hard to be angry with her.


The fact that I get to wake up and spend each and every day with my kids is one of the reasons I can pop out of bed. I’ve always said God blessed mothers with this crazy ability to function happily on very little sleep. (Did I mention Brian was snoring away as the crazy 4am wake-up took place??)


God bless you peppy morning people! I wouldn’t have near as much fun with out one in my life. J And God bless you sleepy morning people! I love being able to get just a few more moments of sleep--especially at 4am. As for you snorers-- I love you too, and I’m glad you can sleep so you can work hard during the day and come home to our wildness at night (even if you sleep through some of the really fun times).

No comments:

Post a Comment